This year, National Diabetes Week will run from 11 – 17 July and in year two of the Heads Up on Diabetes campaign we’ll be focusing on challenging diabetes related stigma.
Did you know that:
- 4 in 5 people with diabetes have experienced diabetes stigma at some stage.
- Nearly 50% of people with diabetes have experienced mental health challenges in the last 12 months.
People experience diabetes stigma when they feel they are being blamed, shamed or made to feel guilty for having diabetes. This can affect their diabetes management and have a big impact on the physical and mental health.
This National Diabetes Week, we want to start a conversation about the impact diabetes stigma and what it means for children, adults and families living with the condition.
Please help us get the word out there:
- Visit the campaign page for more info and to download posters and social media tiles.
- Share the messages on your social media using the hashtags #NDW2021 and #headsupdiabetes
- Join us for the Heads Together forum on Tuesday 13 July from 7pm – 8.30pm. It will be Australia’s biggest online discussion about mental health and diabetes stigma.