PREPARATION + COOKING TIME
1.5 per serve
- 100g pitted dates
- 100g raisins or sultanas
- 35g raisins
- 35g dried apricots
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- ½ cup almond meal
- 1 tbsp + 2 teaspoon cocoa or cacao powder
- 2 tbsp rolled oats*
- 2 tsp fresh orange juice
- ½ cup desiccated coconut plus ½ extra for coating
*Note: omit the oats if you requite gluten or wheat free
Get an adult to help with the boiling water!
- Place all the dried fruit in the bowl of a food processor. Blend until finely chopped
- Pour boiling water over chopped fruit and leave for a minute
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except for the extra coconut) and blend mixture until it forms a paste
- Place the extra coconut on a plate. Remove blade from processor bowl and begin making small balls of mixture. Roll the balls in the coconut to cover
- Your reindeer poop can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to one week, or pop your poop in the freezer to last longer.
NUTRITION (per 2 x balls)
Energy (kJ) 412
Protein (g) 1.5
Fat – Total (g) 4.6
Saturated fat (g) 2.5
Carbs (g) 12.0
Fibre (g) 2.2
Sodium (mg) 5
Provider acknowledgment & disclaimer
Recipe and image reproduced with permission from One Handed Cooks; http://onehandedcooks.com.au/recipe/reindeerpoop.
The above recipe meets Diabetes NSW & ACT nutrient criteria. However, the opinions expressed on the One Handed Cooks website do not necessarily reflect the views of Diabetes NSW & ACT. Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as needed. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for individualised advice.