At some time, either during a school outing or after school, your child will be exposed to fast foods. Takeaway outlets offer a variety of foods that are fast, fun and definitely appealing to children. Many of these foods are high in fat and salt and lack fibre; however they can be enjoyed from time to time. The type and amount of carbohydrate and fat are important considerations.
Better Choices Are:
- Sushi rolls
- A baked potato with low fat fillings
- A wrap – filled with lean meat and salad
- BBQ chicken roll (skip the skin)
- Regular burger with salad
- Doner kebab and salad
- Toasted sandwiches or focaccia
- Grilled fish and small serve chips
- Asian stir-fry or noodle dishes
- Vegetable based pizzas
Encourage your child to avoid sugary drinks like soft drink or fruit drinks (unless they are having a hypo) and choose plain water as the best everyday drink. Diet soft drink or diet cordial is also suitable occasionally.